Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cancer Schmancer

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 7:04pm Edit Note Delete
3 weeks after my colon resection surgery I met with my surgeon and the oncologist. The surgeon told me I'm healing well and that the incision looks good. He removed the right half of my colon, my appendix, 18 lymph nodes and my omentum fat... uh, yeah and the tumor that was about the size of a baseball. It's definitely stage 4 cancer because it traveled outside the colon to the fat, 8 of the 18 lymph nodes and to the inner abdominal wall. The name of the beast is "Signet Ring Cell Mucinous Adenocarnimoma" yeah- say that 3 times fast. That's the status report. I had to edit to add- "No, I do not have a colostomy bag, all is functioning as it should." I know a lot of you are curious, but didn't want to ask. :oPBasically since the cancer got out of the colon it's likely spread microscopically to other organs in the same vicinity. Those microscopic cancers can't be seen (duh) to be removed so I will be doing chemo- but not the IV chemo that's "systematic" that is the standard. I'll be undergoing an IP (intra peritonial) treatment where they put a catheter into your abdomen and wash your "innards" with chemo. Supposedly it's more effective for what I've got going on. That will be done next month after I've healed from the surgery. Then again probably in September. It's prety harsh so it's only done every other month 2 or 3 times- if it's not effective, then I'm going to have to do the IV chemo.so I go back in 2 weeks for a CT scan, then the following week I meet with the surgeon again and the oncologist again and the geneticist (sp?) to see if this is likey to be passed on to my girls. (cross your fingers that it's a big fat no) Then sometime after that I do the IP therapy. ugh- it's another night or 2 in the hospital (it's a good thing I like those people;).What the docs say is that this particular cancer is hard to fight and is not cureable- but it can be montored and fought now that we know it's there.I know there are plenty of stories about people given a certain timeframe to live and have beaten the odds. My story will be no different. I can kick even the "unkickable" asses. Though I've only been in 2 real fights in my life... I did kick their asses- muhahahahaI don't plan on going anywhere A.N.Y.T.I.M.E. soon, so get used to it.Thanks all for the continued kind thoughts and prayers!I will update when there is any more to tell!Right now, Iris is at Micki's house (for those of you not in the know- Micki is my great sister/chauffer) and Vera is at Mom's getting her 6 month nakey portraits tonight. I can't wait to see them, but for now- I'm feeling pretty tired (busy day) so I will take it easy tonight so I can be recharged to hang with the girlies tomorrow.Take care everyone- make sure you never miss a chance to tell your loved ones what they mean to you! NEVER!(((((Hugs)))))Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment